A step by step video on how to disassemble and clean your Smith & Wesson M&P 380 EZ handgun.
RECOMMENDED GUN CLEANING SUPPLIES FOR YOUR GUN CLEANING KIT
STEP ONE - MAKE SURE YOUR PISTOL IS UNLOADED
As with any firearm, we are going to take the magazine out and make sure the weapon is clear of ammunition before attempting to clean it.
STEP TWO - DISASSEMBLING YOUR SMITH & WESSON M&P 380 EZ
1. While the slide is still back, you can rotate the disassembly lever clockwise to the 6 o’clock position.
2. While controlling the slide, press down on the slide stop and ease the slide forward.
You can now take the slide off of the frame.
3. Remove the guide rod and spring and set aside.
4. Grab the lug of the barrel and remove it.
STEP THREE - CLEANING YOUR SMITH & WESSON M&P 380 EZ
1. Once that gun is disassembled, you’ll want some sort of parts tray in order to keep the various parts organized and to give them an area to soak in some CLP.
A parts tray allows you to keep everything organized and prevents making a mess with the solvent and the gunk coming out of your firearm.
Place the slide, barrel and guide rod and spring in the tray.
2. Grab some CLP and give everything in your tray a thorough soaking. Be liberal with spraying everything down as the CLP is going to do the heavy lifting for you.
Be sure to spray some down the bore of the barrel as well.
Next hit the frame as well. You’ll want to let CLP do its magic for about 10 minutes.
3. Use a brush and pick set to scrub all surfaces. This will really help you to dislodge and carbon and other contaminants on your firearm.
Brushes is typically all you need, but if necessary break out the picks to get to areas the brush can’t get too.
Concentrate on the slide making sure to get the rails. This is where the narrow side of your brush really comes in handy.
All surfaces should get some attention.
Contaminants left behind can result in unnecessary wear and tear on your gun. A well taken care of firearm can last a lifetime and more if you're diligent with your cleaning.
4. Next up you’ll want to pull out some gun cleaning swabs in order to clean out the carbon from all the hard to reach areas.
Ones that have a blunt end as well as pointy side really do the trick.
Any area you’re not able to get to with a cleaning cloth is where the swabs should be used. This includes the rails, breech face and the little parts inside the frame.
5. Next up grab a durable gun cleaning cloth. Paper towels really aren’t ideal here as the break apart and end up leaving behind little pieces on your firearm.
Remember this is a finely tuned piece of equipment with very low tolerances. Adding extra contaminants to the moving parts is a big no no.
Clean off all surfaces you can get to with your gun cleaning cloth and then set the parts aside from reassembly.
6. Next we are going to clean the bore with a bore cleaning kit. You’ll want to use a 9mm or .380 cal kit for your Smith and Wesson M&P 380 EZ.
Send the pull cord down the breech end of the bore and pull the whole thing through.
The brush and buffing rope offer a large surface area for cleaning power, so usually one pull through does the trick.
STEP FOUR - REASSEMBLING YOUR SMITH & WESSON M&P 380 EZ
Once that’s done it’s time for reassembly.
1. Give all moving parts of your firearm a light squirt of CLP to lubricate it.
2. Take the barrel and reinsert it into the slide.
3. Next take the guide rod and spring and place that back into the slide as well.
4. You can now replace the slide onto the frame.
Push it all the way back and engage the slide stop to lock it into place.
5. Rotate the disassembly lever counter clockwise to the 3 o’clock position.
6. Release the slide and wipe down any excess CLP.
And there you have it. A fully cleaned and lubricated Smith and Wesson M&P 380 EZ handgun.